As TP3 said, the risk/reward aspect is good as it adds a little bit of depth to a basic game. Have you thought about letting the squirrel jump so that he can reach a nut that would otherwise cause him to hit a snowflake if he waited for it? Also, after retrying, I still had 2 nuts on me from the previous game and it let me add them to my score. Anyway, great work, keep it up!
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
**This is a submission for My First Game Jam 2017**
How To Play
Grab as many acorns as you can while dodging the icy cold snowflakes. You'll lose any collected acorns if you get hit by a snowflake so make sure you drop them off in your hut to keep them safe.
If you think you did alright, post your high score in the comments! Also, I'd love to hear your feedback because I intend to improve this post-game jam.
Thank you for playing.
Left and right arrow keys. You got this.
Press P to pause and R to retry at any time.
BUG: Aspect ratios might not work. It'll likely be stretched. Sorry. :(
FEATURE: If you score really well the game will get ludicrously hard. I should've clamped that but had higher priorities.
- Upload my project regardless of how good or bad it is
- Scope down and finish the game jam with a more "complete" core game loop
- Push outside of my comfort zone
What I learnt
- Started using GitKraken
- Started using Affinity Designer
- Started using giPHY Capture
- Unity specific things:
- Using a Game Manager
- Using static member variables (albeit poorly)
- Coroutines and WaitForSeconds
- Support aspect ratios correctly
- Add player high scores (maybe even leaderboards)
- Add some sweet (but subtle) GFX
- Have a proper title screen
- Improve sound FX
- Icons for lives instead of text readout
- Anything else I get feedback on (please give me some!)
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
I hadn't thought about making the squirrel jump, no. I imposed a limitation of the Game & Watch on myself to prevent myself being a victim of scope creep (which was very likely to happen) so the only buttons I allowed myself was left and right. That limitation also fed directly into one of my goals in which I wanted to submit a more complete game this time around. That said, adding a jump could be interesting! I'll put that on my list of things to try later. :)
I fixed that bug you mentioned too (new build to go up once I test another refactor a bit first). That squirrel didn't want to let go of those nuts!
Thanks for playing and leaving feedback.
Very cool little game with clean graphics that has a lot of potential. I especially like risk/reward of hoarding the nuts versus cashing them in which triggers the speed increase!